Sunday, January 09, 2011

C S Lewis

A friend at church is reading Letters to Malcolm. Every time I have seen him recently he talks to me about Lewis and quotes something. I recommended Lessons from an inconsolable soul to him and from it he copied out this quote and sent it to me:

"Lewis’s pursuit of Joy by means of rational defenses of objective truth has had liberating effect on me. He freed me from false dichotomies. He demonstrated for me and convinced me that rigorous, precise, penetrating logic is not inimical to deep, soul-stirring feeling and vivid, lively imagination. He was a “romantic rationalist.” He combined what almost everybody today assumes are mutually exclusive: rationalism and poetry, cool logic and warm feeling, disciplined prose and free imagination. In shattering these old stereotypes for me, he freed me to think hard and to write poetry, to argue for the resurrection and compose hymns to Christ, to smash an argument and hug a friend, to demand a definition and use a metaphor. It is a wonderful thing when a great man shows a struggler how to be himself."


You could do worse this year than get some C S Lewis under your skin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey David,
I was listening to the Book of the week on Radio 4 called "The winter of our disconnect" and it reminded me a bit of your blog. Just wondered if you had heard it.
Best,
Ina

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful