I, like most Vicars, speak quite often to people about 'Calling' and the steps that one might go through to end up leading a local church. As the wonderful Reggie Perrin used to hear said often when he worked for Sunshine Deserts, "I didn't get where I am today without......."
1. Thirteen years at Sunshine Deserts doing what people tell me was apparently 'a proper job'
2. Reading Romans
3. Reading 'Let your life Speak'
4. Reading 'The Letters of John Newton' particularly this one.
5. Reading John Pollock's books on John Wesley, D L Moody, Billy Graham and George Whitfield and Murray on Edwards
6. Reading Courageous Leadership
7. Being involved in a Church plant and working for my local church being 'first tested'
8. Listening to these talks on Galatians and encountering the Gospel of grace.
9. Applying Proverbs 10:55
10. Giving up my job in faith
11. Spending 40 days going through 'The purpose driven life'
12. Spending six weeks in solitude dry fly-fishing and praying here
I am sure every Vicar has a slightly different twelve and there are probably twelve more which I will save for another time. Oh, one other thing, love Jesus a lot.