Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Don't quit

My friend is making some changes. He is showing amazing costly courage in giving something up- costly to his friendships, his reputation, his habits and certainly in the short term to his body. I have the very greatest respect for him and he knows it's hard but he also knows it will be worth it.

Last night I hope I encouraged him with the words 'Don't quit'.

He so wants a different story from the one he has had for the last ten years and I believe and pray he has just begun to write it.

Many years ago a friend gave me a book called Finishing strong. He bought ten copies and gave them to as many men as he could and I was one of them. I will always be indebted to him. At the time, my life and my sin was quite simply all over the place. The story at the start of the book tells of three men- two of whom lost everything- one didn't.  I decided I would like to be the one. The book shook me and eventually set me on a new path.

As it turns out, I am now my friends Vicar. Funny how things turn out.

As Lent starts commit to do one thing.

Don't quit on Jesus.

Keep on keeping on.

This talk called 'The cost of discipleship' is stunning.

"You’re gonna die. I’m gonna die. We’re gonna die. I’m not looking to die, but if it comes, I want it to count. I want your life to count. I want your death to count. I want your legacy to matter. And what I love about Jesus’ words is that they are brutally honest. It seems unconscionable or perhaps just miraculous that this man, with this message, would gather billions of people. And that’s what he’s done."

You would do well to make time to listen to it.

No comments:

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful