Tuesday, April 24, 2012

One for the pod: The Anointing of God

Fresh wind, Fresh Fire has been important to me and is a book that I have revisited often. Only this weekend, it was on my mind again as I witnessed 45k pentecostals praying so fervently for this land in the Excel. I was surrounded by mum's holding babies praying and weeping, young men calling on the name of the Lord and thousands upon thousands praying in tongues with passion and faith rarely seen in your average C of E prayer meeting.

I included this quote from FWFF by C H Spurgeon in my Sunday sermon:

'The condition of the church may be very accurately gauged by it's prayer meetings. So is the prayer meeting a grace-ometer, and from it we may judge of the amount of divine working among a people. If God be near a church, it must pray. And if he be not there, one of the first tokens of his absence will be a slothfulness in prayer'

Fresh wind fresh fire, Page 28

This sermon by Jim Cymbala 'The Anointing of God' is a great challenge to all our 'techniques' that we are so easily utilising in the hope that people will come to know Christ. We must be a people who pray and then pray some more.

1 comment:

Hannah Poulson said...

Amen Jim Cymbala! Thank you David for sharing this. It has convicted, taught and infused me with passion for prayer! Love Hannah

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful