Monday, February 08, 2016

Monday musing

1. I went to listen to Kevin de Young preach (and a nice chap called Julian Mott). It's probably not going to do me any harm putting myself in the way of some teaching on repentance. It was nice being able to tell Kevin that his books, reading recommendations and blog have been an encouragement to me over the last few years.

2. This post comments on how easily we can be critical of other churches and traditions.

3. I picked up a book called 'Wisdom in Leadership' from the bookstall on Friday:

'God saves people through the gospel.

'One of the difficulties is that it doesn't sound all that powerful on paper. There aren't any bells and whistles. It seems a bit mundane, even un-powerful, to describe our calling as people telling people some news about what's already happened. But that's exactly what God asks us to do. It seems like weakness to Jews and foolishness to Greeks. But it's actually the power of God.....

.....If people were to look at your programs, or your events, or your one-to-one ministry, would they be able to tell you that you trust the gospel as God's power to save? Or would they conclude that you're trusting in something else?

(p.39)

4. Here is a very scary thought. It is possible to preach the Bible and tell other people what they should be doing and be not doing that in your own life. In fact, you can be living antithetically to the things you teach others that they should be doing. What Simon Walker would call a misaligned 'front and back stage' If you teach the Bible this capacity for delusion should both humble you and bring you a fresh sense of the fear of the Lord.

5. I was blessed listening to Nicky speak on 'A Year of Jubilee'. Loved the story about how the Bishop of Islington got started as a worship leader and the amazing illustration "Why didn't you tell me about Jesus"...impacted me.

6.A can't get this quote out of my head: 'Believer, when you are on your knees, remember your are going to a King. Let your petitions be large.' C H Spurgeon

7. True Valour is a compelling read and is immersing me in the story of Ruth and Boaz.

8. As I shared communion yesterday, the song 'Good good father' was being sung behind me and it felt like a holy moment. 

9. Anybody can have affair.  a. Be in the word b. Be accountable to others c. Intentionally avoid temptation d. Trust God's grace. Gordon MacDonald's 'Rebuilding your broken world' had a deep impact on me when I read it and describes how he repaired, repented and reflected following his affair. 

10. Francis Chan has a thought on homosexuality.

No comments:

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful