Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Supper time

"Supper time!" So went the call when I was growing up and as my room was right at the top of the house sometimes my parents used to ring an old brass bell in order to get my attention over the loud music. Goodness knows where my dad got the brass bell from.

Yesterday, I read 'C S Lewis on the Reading of Old Books' and it reminded me of a 'Mere Christianity' reading group I was part of that met in a pub in Earls Court years ago. By the way, C S Lewis is a genius. One of the men who was in the reading group went on to do Alpha and I saw him last week sailing on the Solent and he is still running the race. I am not sure the others are and sadly probably many more who have 'done Alpha' with me down the years. So I am thinking about what to say at our supper. I want to tell them of Jesus but also I want to encourage them to count the cost. I want to tell them of what it will take and how good it is. A friend and mentor just turned 80 and she says every time I see her 'The Cross David, tell them about the Cross,' So if I were to sum it up, I suppose my job is just to ring the bell. He'll do the rest.

I read recently of someone who has one quote that he carries in his wallet and I liked it. It really landed with me:

'The greatness of a man is not determined by what he achieves in life, but what it takes to get him down'

I love that and I love it so much I think I might pop it in my wallet too. Maybe I should give a copy to everyone at the supper.

Whatever it is today, don't let it get you down and keep running.

Pray for me today.

(H/T History in the making)

No comments:

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful