Saturday, July 25, 2009

Blog-sweep

I have been off the blog for a few days. I have been on study retreat (actually had it in the diary for next week so caused myself a huge amount of stress!)

It was worth it. 

Gary Jenkins taught us on basically the failure of the Church of England to reach white working class people with the gospel. The story he tells (and you should certainly read his paper) is very challenging. 

This video is called 'No man is an island' and it moved me.

Seth Godin, a consistently brilliant thinker, has some thoughts on social norms. It has got me thinking about the cliques in my own church in light of Gary's challenge and has caused me to question a few assumptions.

I seem to know a lot of guitar players and muso's. This is one that you are going to watch and I am too. It's called 'It might get loud'. 

By the way, did I mention I am going to see U2 in August :)

One of the most entertaining people at college was a chap called John Zahl and his dad has written a great book on grace called Grace in Practice. I am always banging on about grace and as far as I remember so was John when we were studying. The imonk liked it a lot.

If you are an innovator this might be a book with a silver lining.

Tim put me on to this resource that is available free until the end of August.

And a final thought from the great Charles Spurgeon.

No comments:

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful