Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Being attentive

I have read a number of books over the last year concerned with the inner life. The most memorable being the Emotionally healthy church and Emotionally healthy spirituality. I came across The attentive life recently and took it on a quiet day and it was food for my soul. Leighton Ford made me excited to be an Anglican even though his prayer pattern came from the Divine Hours and not the prayer book. It made me thankful for the things I learnt from the Abbot of Burford Priory while I was at college. You will need to read the book to understand why.

This is a wise and rich book. Packed with quotes, compelling honesty, wisdom and above all the testimony of a man who has run the race. He is now 76. I will work through many of its suggestions and applications over the coming months. 


No comments:

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful