Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Does anyone care about the line if they love the product?

I met with my little team of sinners to try and craft what is known as  'A vision statement'.

You know the sort of thing that if you get those ten words right will birth you a mega-church.

I failed spectacularly I'm afraid.

So here is my thought for the day.

Can you be a church without your 'brand' having a tagline?

The other day, I realised Carlsberg has changed its copy-line from 'Probably the best lager in the world.....'  to 'That calls for a Carlsberg...'

You like me may not have noticed and 'probably' don't care.

The line has changed but the thing is the beer is still the same.

Psalm 34 v 8

Until I think up 'a line' my holding position is this:

 'Love Jesus'.

That'll just have to do for the time being.

"The biblical fact is that there are no successful churches. There are, instead, communities of sinners, gathered before God week after week in towns and villages all over the world. The Holy Spirit gathers them and does his work in them. In these communities of sinners, one of the sinners is called pastor and given designated responsibility in the community. The pastor's responsibility is to keep the community attentive to God. It is this responsibility that is being abandoned in spades'

Eugene Peterson, Working the angles, Page 2

No comments:

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful