Saturday, September 05, 2009

Election, success and the Shack ( Oh...... and the ice caps are melting)

I've been in the car for quite a few hours so listened to a few things. My highlight was this series by Keller called 'Arguing with Jesus' and the sermon on 'Predestination' was so very helpful and a real blessing. You know you can a be sportsman and be generally good and then hit a ball onto the 18th at the Open and everyone goes 'Goodness me'. This is one of those preaching moments.

I have just read Outliers which I gave my sister for Christmas and saw on her bookshelf. It is an exploration of success. As with all Gladwell's books, it tells interesting stories about the now famous 10k hours, Bill Gates, Korean pilots, growing rice and KIPP schools. However, the quote that stuck with me was right at the beginning and simply concluded that community is healing.

'No one was used to thinking about health in terms of community' [p.10]

You need to read the tale of Roseta so I won't spoil it. The conclusion's are a bit fuzzy but seem to be 'Work really hard and look for the opportunities that present themselves'. Overall I think it is worth the read and is fascinating in parts.

I also got around to watching 'The incovenient truth' which I recommend.


The planet is getting warmer, everyone is still driving very large cars that gulp petrol and that means that we are all going to overheat and drown-quite soon according to Al. He is very annoyed we won't face the truth. A bit like sin really.

Listened to Driscoll on 'Friendship' which is, as you might expect, not a walk in the sweet and nice friendy park but is excellent stuff.

Talking of friends, I had a long chat with some of mine about the Shack which Trevin Wax has just reviewed.

Finally, Cranmer made me smile.

No comments:

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful