Sunday, July 10, 2011

Running scared

I was interested when reading this post recommending two books to find that one of them was authored by Edward T Welch. Why is that interesting you may wonder. Well, it's not terribly interesting granted but it just happens that I spent my holiday slowly reading a book by the same author called 'Running scared'. I came across it because it changed a man's life. My interest always peaks when I get wind of a life-transforming read. This is what Justin Buzzard wrote about it:

"Three summers ago I read a chapter a day of Ed Welch’s, Running Scared: Fear, Worry, and the God of Rest. It changed my life. This is the best book you can get your hands on for breaking free from anxiety and fear. This past month I re-read the book and was reminded of how good it is. I’ve underlined sentences on nearly every page. This might be a great book for you to read this summer."

This is such a helpful book and for those who struggle with worry it will be a real gift. All of us without exception have questions and they are usually 'tomorrow questions'. If you don't you are are probably not breathing. Here are some of them:

Will I have enough money to provide for myself and my dependents?

Will the venture I am planning be successful?

Will I get married or stay single?

Will my husband find a job?

How will I die and how will I cope with it?

How will I face trouble when it comes?

Will my kids turn out alright?

Of course there are many more questions that cause people worry- some serious and some very often laughably silly. However, as we all know, a worry is a worry. The overarching story of this book is God's provision of manna for the people of Israel. You will be immersed in it and come to see that daily manna is the backdrop to all that Jesus says about worry in the Sermon on the Mount.

This book really is well worth packing in the bag as one of your summer reads. It blessed me and is still blessing me and I hope it will do the same for you.

No comments:

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful