1. These books were recommended to me recently. Reading good biographies has been grist to my spiritual mill down the years and it will be to yours too I pray:
Evidence not seen
We died before we came here
Hudson Taylor: A Man in Christ
2. I was single until the age of 45 and this book looks like a good one from a limited canon on the subject.
3. I take an interest in teachers, books, preachers and para-church things. A recent thought is that if a particular speaker or guru plays a bigger part in your life and discipleship than the local church you've got something very out of wack. The problem with the big speaker or person with a ministry to ' ......' is that it too easily becomes about you and them and not about Jesus and his people (the church). By all means listen to a podcast of this or that person and try to consume a rich and varied diet of teaching but not at the expense of connecting with the people of God in a local church.
4. We're enjoying Chimerica and are watching it on C4 catch-up. We were surprised by this ad for a morning after pill. The lie is that 'you are your own master'. You're not because none of us are.
5. David Bennett's conversion and calling is fascinating.
6. I appreciate Jared Wilson's grasp of grace.
7. I have been pondering this A W Tozer quote:
'God waits to be wanted'
(A War of Loves, p.77)