Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Bits and bobs

1. This is good on the gift of tongues.

2. I am enjoying reading 'Walking with God'. It may simply be because Eldredge is a dry-fly fisherman.

3. I am currently reflecting on the book of life as I prepare to preach on Sardis on Sunday (Rev 3)

4. I have been falling asleep to this talk 'How the gospel changes our heart' on a few nights recently. It's excellent when you finally manage to get through it.

5. 'What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us' A W Tozer

6. Our personal prayer life is contested.

7. You know something is up when you are spending your evenings reading 'The Diary of David Brainerd ' in tiny print in Vol 1 of Edwards complete works. I should be watching a box set like everyone else.

8. Mrs C and I have been fascinated by Trump: An American Dream.

9. I have not been able to get past the Calvin quote on page 17-18 of 'The New Catechism'. As Peterson says 'Reading Calvin is prayer'

10. A Vicar pal sent me this interview in which Bill Johnson talks about the glory cloud (18 mins in) and asked what I think. When the glory comes scripture describes people as 'face down' in awe, not filming it on a mobile. 

No comments:

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful