Monday, January 09, 2017

Monday musing

1. I found this post and, from it, this line helpful. 'You are what you love' is on my 2017 reading list:

'Discipleship is a rehabilitation of our loves'

James K A Smith

2. Why simple wins

3. This post about the Seeker-church movement had a quote that landed with me:

 .'....the notion that community is what church life is all about, that people must connect relationally and “do life” together, is not something the emerging or missional movements innovated. It was the church growth movement, borrowing from the house churches, parachurches, and the ’70s Jesus Movement that recovered the notion of relational community over against the traditional church’s persistent substitute of cliques and classes.'

4. This is an interesting piece on 'Spare moments'

5. Yesterday I spoke a bit about where I sense God is leading us. As ever, I shared the impact reading Romans had on my life. This article on Romans contained this great J I Packer quote:

 “All roads in the Bible lead to Romans, and all views afforded by the Bible are seen most clearly from Romans, and when the message of Romans gets into a person’s heart there is no telling what may happen.”

 6. 'Why you will marry the wrong person' by Alain de Botton in the NYT was the most read of last year.

7.  My 7 favorite compliments as a pastor.

No comments:

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful