1. I found this post and, from it, this line helpful. 'You are what you love' is on my 2017 reading list:
'Discipleship is a rehabilitation of our loves'
James K A Smith
2. Why simple wins
3. This post about the Seeker-church movement had a quote that landed with me:
.'....the notion that community is what church life is all about, that people must connect relationally and “do life” together, is not something the emerging or missional movements innovated. It was the church growth movement, borrowing from the house churches, parachurches, and the ’70s Jesus Movement that recovered the notion of relational community over against the traditional church’s persistent substitute of cliques and classes.'
4. This is an interesting piece on 'Spare moments'
5. Yesterday I spoke a bit about where I sense God is leading us. As ever, I shared the impact reading Romans had on my life. This article on Romans contained this great J I Packer quote:
“All roads in the Bible lead to Romans, and all views afforded by the Bible are seen most clearly from Romans, and when the message of Romans gets into a person’s heart there is no telling what may happen.”
6. 'Why you will marry the wrong person' by Alain de Botton in the NYT was the most read of last year.
7. My 7 favorite compliments as a pastor.
The blog has been very quiet but I am putting my toes in the water again. We'll see how it goes. The book I read over Christmas was one...
I watched the Cornel West interview and he quotes a Tennessee Williams essay called 'the Catastrophe of Success' which makes inter...
My pal David is a thoughtful friend and we discuss 'matters theological' regularly. I asked him to have a muse on the Keller conver...
If you have not heard of Rob Bell welcome-this is called the Internet. He is the founding pastor of Mars Hill Bible Church , (not to be co...