1. Much to reflect on in 'The imitation game'. A couple of quotes that will live on with me:
'Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things no one can imagine.'
'Do you know, this morning I was on a train that went through a city that wouldn't exist if it wasn't for you. I bought a ticket from a man who would likely be dead if it wasn't for you. I read up, on my work, a whole field of scientific inquiry that only exists because of you. Now, if you wish you could have been normal... I can promise you I do not. The world is an infinitely better place precisely because you weren't.'
2. I love Jason Isbell's 'How to forget'. I'll let you into a little secret- I'm learning to play it on the guitar.
3, I have Donald Witney's Praying the Bible on pre-order.
4. I praying and weighing about my participation in 'Shared conversations'.
5. 1 Timothy tells us that to be an overseer you must 'above reproach'. This article on 'Seven spiritual challenges for Imperfect leaders' was a help to me and has this line that I am mulling on:
'Perfection isn’t the requirement for those who wish to lead. Progress is'
I recently watched John Piper reflecting on one particular imperfect leader: Mark Driscoll and also the Brian Houston Hillsong interview.
6. I am trying to learn to be more proactive. A book that is on my radar is 'The emotionally healthy leader' .
7. I re-read these words on prayer in 'Working the angles':
'The appearances mislead: Prayer is never the first word; it is always the second word. God has the first word. Prayer is answering speech; it is not primarily 'address' but 'response'. Essential to the practice of prayer is to fully realize this secondary quality'' [p 45-6]
8. The Panorama about the Tunisia massacre is captivating and terrifying.
9. Already looking forward to Focus 2016
10. This little piece on the real 10k hours is a challenge (via Paul Sohn)