Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Clout

Seth Godin suggests that it is not how many people who read your blog that matters-it's who. What you need is clout.

I have been reading this because I am speaking to a group of about communicating better as a church. What struck me is that this book, whilst having quite a few interesting thoughts, fails to mention Jesus once (unless I missed it). Is this an example Jesus-less consumerist Christianity that Peterson wrote his three (one, two, three) books to American Pastors about? I know it's a book about marketing and it does offer help and insight into that, but to assume we know the Jesus you are communicating without you articulating him can quickly find us in a place of creating a Jesus 'product' and not a lot more.

This on the other hand mentions Jesus in every chapter and I am loving it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Clout" - at long last Cookie, you have realised the importance of ME reading your blog. . . !

Ashley said...

Heather and I would like to thank you and your church congregation for a most gracious warm welcome! It was such a blessing to be able to visit your church on our holiday. I left your church feeling completely and wonderfully loved by Jesus Christ and overwhelmed by Gods goodness! Your churches ever faithful walk with God sets an example and I am so thankful for a vibrant loving church like yours that has devoted followers of Jesus Christ that are sharing the goodness and power of GOD with the WORLD. Blessings, Ashley

David Cooke said...

Thank you for this encouragement. It was a joy to have you both with us. Do visit again!

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful