Tuesday, May 06, 2008

No more preaching

It is 8.45pm and I have just printed off the final draft of my potty training essay-5335 words. A bit over budget but too bad and at this stage any number of words will do.

Having just done the bibliography here are some of the best books I read for it while they are fresh in my mind:

Boyd Macmillan, Explosive preaching- If you preach you need to own this book-HERE

Haslam, Preach the word-An invaluable collection of essays from the nations most gifted preachers. Should be on you shelf-HERE

Stanley, Communicating for a change-simple stuff but some broad principles that I think are very helpful-HERE

The leaders guide to effective preaching- Has an essay by Eugene Peterson in it-What more need I say- HERE

Pagitt, Preaching Re-imagined- A post-modern dude with lots of ideas for the current times so I agree with some not- HERE

Lowry, The homiletical plot- My college principal disliked narrative preaching but Jesus seemed pretty keen on it-HERE

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

5335 words - wow! Just to encourage you, that's the equivalent to 2 Corinthians (4477 words) together with 2 Thessalonians (823 words), and still leave space to put your full name and address on the top!

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful