Sunday, December 03, 2017

The Way of the Dragon or the Way of the Lamb


Some wise retired Anglican sages put me onto 'The way of the dragon or the way of the lamb'. It's an important read for those of us who pastor churches or aspire to:

'In a culture drunk on power and in need of an intervention, the church has too often become an enabler. In many places, churches openly affirm the way from below. Instead of being told how desperately I am in need of God, I am repeatedly told how much God needs me . Instead of being exhorted to pick up my cross and follow Christ, I am told that Jesus wants to be my partner in the plan I have to rid my life of struggles and challenges.. We hear gospels of moral ism, centering on my power to become a better person and we hear sermons offering up God as merely another resource along my journey for successful and happy living. Sermons become pep talks amid a quest for power and significance. Instead of worship being an invitation to come before God in humble awe and reverence, worship becomes an experience meant to lift us above the travails of everyday life and give us a sense of transcendence. Instead of hearing God's vision of redeeming all things in Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit, we hear of the pastor's vision to grow an even bigger church that does bigger things so that he can be powerful with him'

p.12

No comments:

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful