Friday, March 30, 2012

Walking over glass

Among the thoughts that shaped me most was the story Ravenhill told of the notorious British criminal, Charlie Peace, who was going to his death on a capital offence. As the minister was reading from the Bible and another book, Charlie Peace asked him, 'Do you really believe in such a place called hell?' The minister replied,'Yes'.Charlie responded- and this is the thought that impacted me- 'Sir, if I believed what you and the church of God say that you believe, even if England were covered with broken glass from coast to coast, I would walk over it, if need be, on hands and knees, and think it worth while living, just to save one soul from an eternal hell like that!' That struck me. If what we lay claim to on these matters is true, then the dramatic influence in our lives is going to be inestimable.

'Even if England were covered with the broken glass from coast to coast, I would walk over it.' That is the kind of reality, and these are the words that shape one's call. This was the truth I was going to proclaim.......And for me, 'Why revival tarries' sealed my call to preach and proclaim, and it convinced me that this was a real message. I was not going to shirk from whatever sacrifice was required to take this message to the world. Little did I know God was going to enable me to do that'

Ravi Zacarias in Indelible Ink: Books that shape faith.

No comments:

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful