Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sure is the 4-letter word

My pal wrote this to me which I share:

"Great and challenging blog, as always. I am still trying to work through Chan's "Lukewarmness" questionnaire - which I failed miserably!

On the Wimber quote - which I, too, heard frequently - I have to confess that I disagree with Wimber on this (am I allowed to do that?). For me Hebrews 11:1 tells me that "Faith is a four-letter word spelt SURE" - quite different from RISK I think you will agree.

However, I also preach that "Love is a four-letter word spelt RISK" - because isn't that what love is all about? Putting yourself in a position of RISK, vulnerability, where you might be rejected, abused, hurt, taken advantage of, ignored and unrequited - but it might also be received, accepted, enjoyed and reciprocated and when it is, well, THAT is life in all its fulness. As the philosopher Willard Waller wrote, "In a relationship of two people the person who loves the least has the most power" - therein lies the RISK."

Truly don't miss listening to "Why we all need the gospel"

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful