Saturday, June 21, 2008

Sabbath time

I have worked out that Sabbath is important. I have also worked out that getting away is a good thing. A third revelation is that as a Pastor I need people and places that feed my soul. I recently went to the Summer Exhibition which, with the exception of the depressing and vile Tracy Emin room, I loved. I enjoy a walk on the river. I enjoy eating food with friends. I have too, in recent years, got into the habit of having a few people on the go who teach me and feed me. Keller. Peterson, Wimber and a host of less well known people.

Recently, I have been working through this as I have been driving around over the last month- Wimber on Prayer- which I spotted collecting dust in a friends study. It has been a joy to listen to. I had forgotten what a truly gifted bible teacher Wimber was.

Yesterday, I happened upon Reggie McNeal and his talk that I would class as a MUST LISTEN. He is a teacher at Fuller Seminary and I just loved his message to Pastors and you need to find 44 minutes of your Sabbath to let him bless you (be patient the last 20 minutes is gold-dust).

Listen- HERE

A few quotes:

God takes attrendance by who's missing

Not about how many show up on a Sunday....What a small kingdon that would be"

Don't have and evangelism strategy have a blessing strategy

Only Pharisees think you can clean fish before you've caught them

No comments:

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful