Monday, February 27, 2017

Monday musing


'Mission begins with a kind of explosion of joy. The mission of the Church in the pages of the New Testament is.......like the fallout from a vast explosion, a radioactive fallout which is not lethal but life-giving'. 
(Leslie Newbegin, The Gospel in a Pluralist Society) quoted in Dirty Glory, Page 160

1. I haven't been so gripped by a book in a while and 'Dirty Glory' is stirring many of us to prayer. This book is one of our Lent reads together with 'Different' which is the title of our new sermon series. We've pulled together a few Lent resources for our folk to use as we approach Easter and are holding 24 hours of prayer into Easter Sunday (which is I suppose 24/1 rather than 24/7)


2. I spent some time with someone who used to travel with Reinhard Bonnke about whom I know little. I have been reflecting since and watched this astounding footage of him in Africa. He can certainly gather a crowd and this is a film of his story.


4. I've been asked about and dealt with issues of spiritual warfare a bit recently and happened on this bible study which was timely for me.

5. I have also been asking the question 'Does taking a Sabbath matter?' and springing from this my question is this: 'To what extent can we expect God's blessing over ministries if they overtly flaunt this command?' I'm hoping Eugene Peterson talking about being a simple pastor has a thought or two for over-work and misdirected driven-ness as I muse and study scripture on this topic.

6. It never ceases to move me when I witness the gospel move someone to tears when they hear it.

7. Tim Ferris has always interested me but I've never read any of his books or heard him speak. I might start here.

No comments:

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful