Thursday, June 12, 2014

Secret places

Every week I try to withdraw to my secret place. Recently, I have ceased taking my phone and when there I can't get on the internet. It's hard. I don't think Thomas a Kempis had a phone:

'Be faithful to your secret place, and it will become your closest friend and bring you much comfort. In silence and stillness, a devout person grows spiritually and learns hidden things of the Bible. Tears shed there bring cleansing. God draws near to the one who withdraws for a while. It is better for you to look after yourself this way in private than to perform wonders in public and ignore your soul'

Kempis quoted by Gordon MacDonald in 'The Road We Must Travel', Page 145

No comments:

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful