Wednesday, February 01, 2012

For the pod: The vision of Jesus

I haven't posted a 'For the pod' for a while so here is one.

I am indebted to HTB for more reasons than words can describe. John Hays said something about leadership on Monday at St Mellitus that I have been thinking about since. You must, he said, create an 'affirmational culture' where it is all about things that can be done not the reasons they can't. There are just too many reasons for not doing something aren't there? People, if you lead, will need affirmation he said- this sadly does not come to us naturally.

I have learnt what an 'affirmation faith-filled culture' looks like from my friends at HTB down the years. Bill Hybels was apparently astounded they start each year with nothing in the bank and no reserves. I love witnessing people who have bountiful vision fuelled by possibility and there is no one more full of this perhaps than Nicky Gumbel and his tangible sense of 'what can be' is very, very, catching.

'The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision.' said Helen Keller (who was blind + deaf) which he quotes.

This is a great vision talk and is called 'The vision of Jesus'. There is also a great encouragement for my pal Peter in this talk who set up Alpha in Zimbabwe many moons ago and also led me in my first baby steps as a disciple for which I will be forever grateful.

No comments:

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful