Friday, January 15, 2010

Haiti : How should we respond?

Last night I was talking to a friend while washing up dishes. She works for Tear Fund and we were discussing Haiti and then our discussions turned to loans for businesses in the developing world. This is one of her particular passions.

I asked if she had heard of Kiva?

She hadn't, so I thought some of you might not either.

The story of how Kiva came to be as told by its founder Jessica Jackley is inspiring.



So I think there are two ways to connect with people through this horror:

1. The first is to respond to a specific incident like Haiti with money and that is a good thing to do. I would commend giving to a charity you know or one you have friends who can keep you updated-mine is Tear Fund-and you can give here.

2. The next thing is to connect with other nations, poverty and giving longer term hope in a more sustained way and this might be where Kiva comes in. You can lend resources and make a difference and this sort of action lasts so much longer than the headlines do. It is also very easy to do.

So I hope this goes a tiny way to offering you a way to respond.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It would perhaps be great if Tear Fund made sure their donations page was working correctly before going home at 5pm on Friday!!!!!

Andrew McCracken said...

I just tried it - it seems to be working ok now.
Andrew (Tearfund)

Anonymous said...

Hi!
You may probably be very interested to know how one can make real money on investments.
There is no initial capital needed.
You may commense earning with a money that usually goes
on daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one project for several years,
and I'm ready to let you know my secrets at my blog.

Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I earn 1000-2000 per day now.

[url=http://theinvestblog.com] Online investment blog[/url]

Saturday blog-sweep

 Some interesting books for pastors The State we're in Attack at dawn Joseph Scriven Joy comes with the morning When small is beautiful